CERT Registered Emergency Workers are eligible to enroll in continuing education classes to acquire or enhance skills relating to emergency response.
FEMA Independent Study (IS) courses are available online at no cost. Participation in these courses requires a FEMA Student Identification (SID) number. Need assistance getting your SID or getting started with online training? We can help!
Required independent study training. These three independent study courses are required for Whatcom CERT Registered Emergency Workers. We ask that you complete these courses within one year after completing CERT basic training.
- Introduction to Incident Command System (IS-100b)
- ICS for Single Resources and Initial Action Incidents (IS-200b)
- National Incident Management System (NIMS) An Introduction (IS-700a)
Supplemental independent study training. These online courses are not required, but are recommended, based on your areas of interest or anticipated role(s) in an emergency response.
- Community Points of Distribution (IS-26)
- Forms Used for the Development of the Incident Action Plan (IS-201)
- Decision Making and Problem Solving (IS-241b)
- CERT Supplemental Training: The Incident Command System (IS-315)
Supplemental CERT classroom training (FEMA), for CERT Registered Emergency Workers. These courses use a FEMA curriculum, adapted for our local conditions. We deliver these courses periodically in Whatcom County.
- CERT Emergency Communications
- CERT Traffic and Crowd Management
- CERT Animal Response 1
- CERT Animal Response 2
- Flood Response for CERT Volunteers
- CERT Firefighter Rehab
Supplemental CERT classroom training (Whatcom CERT), for CERT Registered Emergency Workers. These courses are developed and delivered locally to meet the needs of our region and our dedicated volunteers.
- Rapid Damage Assessment
- Advanced CERT Emergency Communication
- Ropes and Knots Used in Disasters
- Prep for ICS 100 and 700
- Cribbing Review
- Triage Review
- Medical Treatment Area Review
- Working with HAM Radio Operators
- Marking and Mapping
- Designing a Neighborhood CERT Division
- Designing an Exercise
- What’s Inside Your CERT Pack
- Emergency Operations Center Telephone Operations
- The Role of the Scribe
Supplemental classroom training with external agencies and organizations. We will occasionally advertise “external” opportunities for training on a variety of topics that are relevant to our emergency responders. Unless otherwise indicated, these are optional activities.
- Incident Management Team
- Urban Search and Rescue
- Building Safety Evaluation
- Donation management
- Community relations
- Shelter/assembly area management
- Debris removal
View the FEMA Region X training calendar